Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Lesson in Gratitude

I had the worst nightmare last night that involved my oldest daughter. I woke up and tried to get back to sleep but I was feeling too upset.
I was thinking to myself, do I thank the lord enough for the blessings he has given me? The answer is no, It isn’t near enough that I thank him for all he has blessed me with; My two precious daughters, my wonderful husband that provides for us no matter what, my very close and supportive family?
I said a prayer right then and there for all the many blessings in my life and I prayed for my loved ones good health, protection and strength.

After I awoke this morning it was as if all that insight I had gained last night had flown out the window. Bethany was in a cranky and whining mood, Audra had a friend spend the night that was allergic to milk so I had to fix her a special breakfast, I had laundry to put in, dishes to do, and I was trying to figure out how to afford a gift for a friend who’s having a surprise shower today and still be able to pay the mortgage next week.

It’s funny how the pressures of everyday life could make me forget so easily all in this world that’s really important.
So what if I have to make a special breakfast for Audra’s friend? I am thankful for Audra being in my life and that she has such a good friend that lives close and she gets along with so well.
So what if Bethany is cranky? There are many days I wake up feeling the same way, I am grateful that Bethany is in my life, she is by far not always the easiest child with her strong will and her ability to completely demolish any room in under 60 seconds, but I couldn’t imagine my life without her, it wouldn’t be the same. Bethany has this uncanny ability to lighten up any mood, she can charm the socks off anyone, and she has brought so much joy and laughter to our lives, and for her I am thankful.
So what if I have another load of dishes and laundry to do? I am thankful for having running water, a roof over my head, food in our tummy’s, and clothes on our backs. If this is part of the responsibility the lord has given to me for these gifts than I am grateful for it.
I am grateful for my friends and thankful of the time I get to spend with them and having them as part of my life; If one small gift breaks the bank than I will have faith and be grateful to the lord that he is the master of this world, of my life not I, and I know he will get us through it.
In the daily muck of things there is still so much to be grateful for if we only look for it.
I remember the story of the 10 lepers Luke 17:12-19. Jesus heals all 10 lepers and only one comes back to thank him. I have been like the other 9 lepers that did not return to thank Jesus. I get too busy and I can see all that is gong wrong and ask the lord for help in fixing it, but very seldom do I stop to thank the lord for all that is good and all the blessings he has poured out unto our lives………..I am sure this must sadden him as it does me.
Today I make a vow that when I am going through life trying to get the to do list done and I can only see the hardships, I am going to take a moment to reflect and thank god for all that he has done in my life that is good.

What are your thoughts on Gratitude and Thankfulness?

Luke 17:12-19
12As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance 13and called out in a loud voice, "Jesus, Master, have pity on us!"
14When he saw them, he said, "Go, show yourselves to the priests." And as they went, they were cleansed.
15One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. 16He threw himself at Jesus' feet and thanked him—and he was a Samaritan.
17Jesus asked, "Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? 18Was no one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?" 19Then he said to him, "Rise and go; your faith has made you well."

No comments: