Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Quick, healthy, and nutritious Meals
I learned a new one pot cooking method the other day; it is very easy and very yummy!
It’s from a cookbook called Glorious One Pot Meals. Here is the creator Elizabeth Yarnell’s website http://www.gloriouspotmeal.com/recipes/current.htm
It’s a simple way of cooking nutritious, delicious meals for me and my family, using just one pot and it requires very little prep work or forethought you just stick what you have in a pot, put it in the oven and 45 minutes later a complete dinner of meats, vegetables, and grains is ready to eat!
You will need:
1) An enamel coated cast iron pan that has a lip on the inside lid that’s also been sprayed with cooking oil (you can pick these up very inexpensive now at Walmart instead of spending hundreds for a Le Crueset)
2) Frozen or fresh meat in individual serving sizes enough for your family size, She suggested freezing meat in individual serving sizes usually ¼ to ½ pound per person putting them in a small zip loc back and putting those in a labeled large freezer zip lock bag so you can take just what you need to use that night out.
3) Frozen or fresh vegetables cut up or whole skin on or off doesn’t matter it’s your preference and she says there is more nutrients in the skin so she leaves hers on
4) A grain or Carbohydrate of some sort, she used Quinoa, Sweet potatoes, potatoes, canned beans, really the possibilities are limitless (with the exception she said of brown rice and dry beans because they don’t seam to get done all the way) and enough liquid according to package to cook the grain if using.
5) Any flavorings you wish such as any kind of salad dressing as long as its not a creamy dressing, any kind of vinegar based dressing, tomato sauce, juice from lemons and oranges once again the flavoring options are endless its all your families preference
Just throw in the carbohydrates, flavorings, meats, and vegetables in the enamel coated cast iron pan and throw it in the oven at 450 degrees for 45 minutes or she says you will know its done when the fragrance of the dish finds you wherever you are in your home it will be done 3 minutes later. When you pull it out you have a delicious complete meal that is cooked to perfection and tastes even better!
I think this is a great way to feed my family healthy nutritious meals that require little prep or thinking ahead and little time. She describes her method in full in her cookbook and also has recipes in her cookbook for macaroni and cheese, eggplant parmesan, etc. using this one pot cooking method. Hope your family enjoys as much as mine.....my 7 year old had three helpings of this and my 3 year old finally ate her vegies all gone!!!!!